Questions Community

Is it possible to "go to screen page $id" based on an event?

hydro-b

I want to be able to have the screen go to a specific page based on an event in HA.

In my use case I want to display a (PNG) image that has been generated elsewhere Fugleramme in kiosk mode on a dedicated page. I've used a workaround for now in the form of the Generic camera integration (this server does not yet have a TLS certificate, so insecure content on a HASS with TLS, hence web grabber won't work). I point that integration to a still image so that I can use it in Tessera / ESP screen. The camera event will show a pop-up on the main screen with an "OK" button you can press. However, ideally I do not want to use that camera event, I would like to be able to have the screen just go to a dedicated page "as is" without any notification whatsoever (maybe configurable in case someone does want to see the reason of switching to the page).

Is this already possible and I just haven't found the right way yet?

As a side note: I love this project, it's speed of development and the traction it seems to have from a ever growing community. Keep it going!

Originally shared on GitHubOriginal authors and dates are preserved.

View original

Discussion 3

Add a comment
Heronimonimo

I've made a PR that might solve your problem: https://github.com/MaxGramser/homeassistant_espscreen/pull/153

This PR would make it possible to have a binary_sensor that triggers showing the camera feed when the screensaver is on.

Original on GitHub

MaxGramser

Hi @hydro-b, yes, this is already possible, and it needs no notification or pop-up.

1. Put the image on its own page

In the editor, add a page (for example page 4) and put a camera tile on it. Choose your Generic camera (a camera.* or image.* entity both work), set the tile size to Full page, and under Display choose Live picture with a pace (5, 10, 15 or 30 seconds). Pick Fill the tile or Whole picture depending on whether you want the image cropped to fill the glass or shown complete. This needs firmware 0.3.7 or newer and a board with room for pictures, such as the Guition boards. The CYD has no memory for camera pictures.

2. Jump to that page from an automation

Every screen has the action esphome.<screen>_show_page. It does the same as tapping a Go to page tile: the screen wakes if it was in standby, an open card closes, and that page is shown. No pop-up and no "OK" button. In Home Assistant, create an automation with your event as the trigger and this action:

action: esphome.living_room_screen_show_page
data:
  page: 4

page is the number the editor shows, so 1 is the first page.

Good to know

  • Like a touch, it starts the Back to page 1 timer, so the screen returns to page 1 after a while (Settings → Screen on the panel, or switch.<screen>_back_to_page_1). Turn that off, or call the action again, if you want the image to stay.
  • An alert that is showing stays in front of the page.
  • The picture refreshes while that page is on the screen, at the pace you chose.
  • If you want to know why the screen switched, the same automation can also send a normal notification. That is optional.

Glad you like the project, thank you for the kind words!


Got a screen running? Tell others which board you have and what works on the Tessera website. It helps everyone pick a screen that works.

Want me to keep building? Consider supporting monthly or buying me a coffee, much appreciated!

Original on GitHub

hydro-b

In reply to Heronimonimo

Thanks, it turns out the support was already there but I missed it somehow.

Original on GitHub

Add your thoughts, a screenshot or a useful link.

Markdown & basic HTML
Paste or drop images · URLs on their own line become previews0 / 10,000
Sign in with GitHub to commentYour draft stays in this browser tab.